Sunday, September 03, 2006

Pro-choice vandals

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060903/NEWS0102/609030400

HIGHLAND HEIGHTS - They're sorry they helped destroy an anti-abortion display at Northern Kentucky University last spring. It was wrong, they say.
But they thought they were exercising their own right to express a contrary opinion. And at least two of them still feel the campus display was inappropriate.
That was the gist of three letters published recently in the Northerner, NKU's campus newspaper. To erase charges of criminal mischief and theft in connection with the incident, six NKU students agreed to submit the letters of apology, perform community service and pay a $100 fine. The six are due back in court on Sept. 29.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');

I am curious as to whether or not the pro-life activists had to be consulted as part of the decision to erase criminal charges. If they, infact, agreed that is foolishness. This is particularly in lieu of the apology.


To the Faculty, Students, and Administration of Northern Kentucky University:
This past spring, we all witnessed the erection of a rather prominent display for the anti-abortion argument. Hundreds of white crosses were positioned side by side in the center of campus representing children who had been killed by abortions. Also included in this display was an enormous sign reading the words "Graveyard of the Innocent." This display was put up to invoke remorse and pain in passersby for the fetuses lost in the act of abortion.
A passerby myself, I did not only feel remorse and sorrow for those unborn, but pain and sympathy for the mothers

I am interrupting there to draw attention to the use of the word "mother" - there cannot be a mother if there is not a baby.

who for whatever reason felt as though they had no other choice but to use this practice. I also felt anger that religion, my own forgiving faith, appeared to be persecuting these women instead of offering refuge. Surprisingly, I discovered I was not alone in my disapproval. Reacting impulsively, my professor, a few fellow students and I took it upon ourselves to dismantle the disturbing display. We felt as though we had a right to make a statement by removing one. We were quickly corrected on our thinking when we found what an uproar our demolition caused.
Regarding the events of this past spring, I am regretful and sorry for any discomforting emotions my actions may have aroused. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for abusing my right to protest. For those who were offended by my actions, I am sorry. To the group who built the display, I do admire you for your convictions and apologize for taking down what you worked so hard to construct. Hearing my sincerest regrets on the event, I simply ask that you remember one thing: Our religious views and salvation are not tools to condemn and turn our backs, but are tools to help love and lead by our own understanding and forgiveness.
My Deepest Apologies,
Michelle Lynn Cruey

The bolded lines that I have emphasized ring quite hollow, in my opinion, of sincerity. It's hard to believe someone trying to avoid criminal charges feels in the position to lecture!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home