Saturday, December 29, 2007

1400 African American babies aborted daily in the USA



I thoughtful article on the impact of abortion on the black community from the perspective of a member of that community

http://hellonegro.wordpress.com/2007/12/28/over-1400-african-american-babies-are-aborted-each-day/

Over 1,400 African-American babies are aborted each day
Jump to Comments
“Abortion is so critical to us, because this is essentially a genocide. According to the census of 2006, African Americans are reproducing below replacement level, which is 2.1 children per household, and we are now at 1.9. We need to turn this around quickly, because over 1,400 African-American babies are aborted every day. That’s going in the wrong direction.” - Walter B. Hoye II, executive elder of Progressive Missionary Baptist Church of Berkeley

I’ve posted about African-Americans and abortion before and it’s a very very touchy subject. In the black community, I find that most people have a don’t ask don’t tell policy. Whether someone has had one…you don’t ask. That’s med’ling in grown business, if you will. If you had one, you only tell the people you trust or you keep it to yourself. But of course, the topic is not one that anyone would consider cause for casual conversation. Why? I think the major factors are the huge black christian community that considers it and premarital sex sinful and community stigma around abortion. The stigma part of the equation created in me an internal struggle. I really couldn’t say that I was pro-abortion, because I don’t believe a life should die because you and your partner don’t want it or made a mistake and didn’t use a condom…etc. However, I don’t think that children should be born into families where they are not wanted, will not have proper parenting, or will suffer as a result. I also don’t think that it’s my job to decide whether other women should have the option (especially in cases of rape, incest, or when the mother or child is endangered by the pregnancy). It’s a very very touchy issue. In the end, when it comes to questions of life and death, I believe that there is a place for government, church, and personal choice. Ultimately I think that each individual, male and female should have the choice of many informed choices when it comes to pregnancy. Abortion, adoption, parenthood, It’s not my choice to make.

But enough of what I think…I want to know what you readers think about African-Americans and abortion
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home