Saturday, January 19, 2008

A pro-choice perspective on motherhood

"I am not sorry", a pro-choice website, shares the journey of a pro-choice mother as she reflects on the birth of her child and the onset of motherhood.

The context for this actually quite heartbreaking - a young woman promised oodles of support from a family and a boyfriend that ultimately never stepped up and helped her and her son. Still, her words are earthshatteringly harsh.

I think it has taken me so long to write this because I don't want to be seen as a bad mother. I regret having my son. I do and looking back, the memories of it aren't so bad overall, but my day to day life since then has been. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten the abortion at all costs. I do love my son, there is no doubt about that, but I find myself wishing, often, that I had not had him at all. If that makes me a bad mother, then so be it.

Subsequent to this she conceived unexpectedly again,

My decision was easy and it was to immediately seek an abortion. I told my boyfriend, I did not ask him, and he told me that he was actually relieved that I did not want to keep the pregnancy. I called my mother and explained the situation to her and that I would need to borrow some money from her.

And these were the words of the baby's grandmother when she was told the news:

I cried for a very long time when she told me that things would have been different if I had gone to her the first time I was pregnant

http://www.imnotsorry.net/christyA.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home