Monday, October 16, 2006

Rape Survivor chooses Life

http://www.dakotavoice.com/200610/Guest/20061016_MB.html

Two years ago I was raped. After a couple of phone calls to a priest and a counselor my friend drove me to the Emergency Room where I had a rape kit done. I was quickly offered the “morning-after pill,” but I declined it. Although I knew very little about the pill itself, I did know that I believed that life begins at conception and anything that would prevent a life from forming was not something I wanted to take.
Two weeks later it was confirmed that I was pregnant as a result of the rape. At this time the authorities had contacted the man who raped me and he denied any contact with me. He has since been convicted of 2nd degree rape on three counts. He signed over his parental rights and was sentenced to six years in prison.
My family, especially my parents, was very supportive towards my decision to give birth to a beautiful baby girl whom I named Maria Grace. She is named after Mary and St. Maria Goretti. Although the situation was one of the most trying times of my life, I would do it all over again just to have one glimpse of my daughter.
Some people struggle with the abortion ban because they feel it has no compassion for rape victims. I am here to say that true compassion does not come from the choice to kill, but in the right to life. I chose life for my baby and I am convinced that she was meant to be here. There would be no one who could look her in the eyes and believe that she doesn’t deserve life due to the choice of a man we never even knew.
Maria is now fifteen months old and loving life. She is happy, confident, and the mischievous look in her big brown eyes lets me know she is very thankful to be alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home