Monday, September 11, 2006

Brad Pitt and equal marriage


LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - Brad Pitt will marry Angelina Jolie when all gay couples in the US can legally tie the knot.The 'Ocean's Thirteen' actor - who lives with the 'Tomb Raider' actress and their three children, four-month-old Shiloh, Maddox, five, and 18-month-old Zahara - has continually dismissed plans for the couple to walk down the aisle, but insists the pair will tie the knot when US law is changed to allow everybody to wed.He told Esquire magazine: "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."Brad has also revealed that he doesn't treat his adopted children, Maddox and Zahara, any differently to his first-born, Shiloh.He explained: "They're as much of my blood as any natural born, and I'm theirs. That's all I can say about it. I can't live without them. So, anyone considering adoption, that's my vote." The actor - who got together with Angelina while they were filming 'Mr and Mrs Smith' together - also insists he is a laid back parent.He explained: "I try not to stifle them in any way. If it's not hurting anyone, I want them to be able to explore. "I feel it's really important to have that time to sit and talk to them. I really like that last minute before they fade off."

Mr. Pitt's life is seriously none of my business but I find the whole idea of delaying the desire of your heart for political goals very odd. This is especially true when such outcomes are quite uncertain in the United States so the likelihood of them ever marrying is doubtful if they are waiting for the values of the United States to allow it.

I also find it odd that someone who has already married would take such a stance.

Okay...so.....
being married ONCE is okay but not twice? Somehow that's unfair to gay and lesbian citizens?
being married, making vows, and then walking away....that's okay....but it's not okay to marry when others can't? That's morally offensive but broken promises aren't?
starting another relationship before your first marriage is legally over is okay but....getting married when gay people are not able to is wrong?

It's a baffling moral logic to me.

Incidentally for those who don't know this Brad Pitt was raised Charismatic and/or baptist depending upon the specific time period of his childhood. (Charismatic is to the right of Pentecostal). I've often wondered what Christmas is like at the table!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home